Graffiti Marks Many Campus Locations

Two minors were arrested Monday, December 10, in relation to graffiti found by staff members on campus the previous night. The police department declined to divulge whether the two minors were students at this school, although a male sophomore was led away in handcuffs during seventh period on Monday.

According to Assistant Principal Morenike O’Neal, multiple teachers discovered graffiti on the administration and attendance buildings, several classrooms and restrooms, the weight room, various athletic buildings and on autoshop cars. This is the second incident of graffiti in the last month; the first occurred Friday, November 16. It is unknown whether the two acts are related.

According to Student Conduct Liaison Genaro Quintana, the recent graffiti was “obscene, not gang-related” in nature. It also involved personal attacks. For example, one piece of graffiti addressed a staff member with an expletive and also called the staff member a sexually derogatory term.

The majority of the artwork was cleaned up by the custodial staff by approximately 8 a.m., before most students arrived at school. The local police department was also notified.

According to Lead Custodian Tony Ventura, Principal Wynne Satterwhite was at school helping to paint over the graffiti around 2 a.m. Monday morning.

The administration and staff found the vandalism to be an upsetting inconvenience to the school environment.

“We have so much pride in the school because it really looks nice,” autoshop teacher Greg Ely said. “It’s disappointing that someone [wanted] to come and mess it up.

Students were also surprised by the graffiti.

“It doesn’t seem like it would happen at our school,” junior Saskia Lee said.

Assistant Principal Ralph Cave sent out an e-mail to all staff members informing them of the November vandalism, but as of Monday, had not formally informed staff of the newer graffiti.

History teacher Seth Donnelly, whose classroom was vandalized in November, did not feel that the first incident was malicious toward any individual, unlike the December 9 vandalism.

“I didn’t interpret it as a personal attack,” Donnelly said. “I think it was a random tagging at the back of the school.”

Although the November vandal signed his or her artwork “Spader,” the culprit has not yet been caught.